Social and Cultural Norms
In this assignment, you will argue a pro or con position involving minorities, women, or LGBTQ individuals given an audience with opposing views.
Presenting stereotypes of minorities/women/LGBTQ individuals affects viewers’ conceptions of different groups.
How do such skewed views affect real-life interactions with members of minority groups? Is there a difference among such genres as comedies, dramas, police procedurals, children’s shows, cartoons, and reality shows, in how marginalized people are portrayed? Can you cite any examples from your own experiences?
The media should be trusted to provide the means to change people’s perceptions of minorities. Argue for or against this statement.
Your paper must outline specifically the nature of the problem and demonstrate critical thinking, sound logic, valid claims, personal passion, and credible support that is cited correctly.
Write a three-page paper in which you:
In the introduction, include a quote, question or statistic from your text and an overview of the three major points you will cover.
Introduce your position with a thesis statement at the end of the first paragraph.
Provide three major points to support your thesis statement (put each major point in a separate paragraph).
Answer each of the sub-questions in at least one paragraph each.
Wrap up your assignment with a strong conclusion in which you restate the points you made and supported.
Organize arguments and support your claims effectively.
Demonstrate personal passion for your position and critical thinking with persuasive language, sound logic, valid claims, and credible support for the claims.
Provide three credible and reliable sources (in addition to the textbook) about current events, which have been published in the last five years and are cited correctly in the position paper.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the students name, the professors name, the course title and the date. Include a source page to demonstrate understanding of the Strayer Writing Standards. The cover and source pages are not included in the required assignment page length. An Assignment 1 Sample [PDF] has been provided for your reference.
- Compare and contrast the painter and Edward in 2BRO2B.
- Is there a difference among such genres as comedies, dramas, police procedurals, children’s shows, cartoons, and reality shows, in how marginalized people are portrayed?
- What products or services does the organization offer?
- Describe what Marx means when he states: The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle.
- What is most significant from the reading is that while the various factors play roles, no single one is entirely deterministic.
- Discuss the relationship between gender and your selected topic.
- Describe what is meant by the terms environmental racism and environmental justice?
- Write a memo as the sales director of a company to both in-house sales department employees and the sales representatives.
- What is source credibility and does source credibility affect attitude change?
- Write an essay on “Why do people have a tendency to remember unusual ads more effectively than ads that are less interesting?