Business professionals negotiate every day to achieve their desired outcomes. Effective negotiation skills are important for building business acumen. There are numerous examples of negotiations in which you may have participated. Take note of a few that may be familiar to you.
-While setting merchandising materials for the store, did you negotiate for floor, wall, or shelf space?
-Were you involved in vendor negotiations for the best dates to run in-store promotions of their products?
-Did you negotiate with customers to find the best possible resolution to a problem?
-Did you negotiate to get more of the “best-selling” products into your store’s inventory?
-Did you negotiate with your supervisor to switch weekends off?
1. Review course content and conduct outside research on the topic of effective negotiation.
2. Use the results of your research to respond to the following questions:
-Describe which skills are most effective for business professionals to use in negotiations.
-Discuss the value of coming to a negotiation prepared (e.g. what is your desired outcome, what are you willing to compromise, etc.).
-Consider the questions above regarding a recent negotiation in which you were involved.
Looking back, did you use the skills you now know are most effective? Were you prepared? Did you achieve your desired outcome?
*I work for Walmart
- What strengths/advantages do you bring to the negotiation?
- Write a paper on the domino effect caused by Brexit.
- What do you think 19th century and early 20th century writers like Kate Chopin or Mina Loy would say to mid- or late-20th century writers like Audre Lorde or Lucille Clifton?
- Explain specifically how those characters push against boundaries imposed by society.
- Describe which skills are most effective for business professionals to use in negotiations.
- Write about and analyze the biggest cyber security threats in the world today.
- What is your viewpoint on negligence, specifically in regard to claims against contractors, and how does the duty of reasonable care affect construction projects?
- What is the best type of evidence to answer that question (e.g., RCT, cohort study, qualitative study, etc.)?
- Discuss how an international bird conservation organization that is considering purchase of one of four parcels of land in the Central American country of Belize.
- Discuss a history of an abdominal problem one that you have experienced and perform an assessment of the gastrointestinal system.