Look up 5 different terms from various languages that are categorized as ethnophaulisms (a word used to depict a group of people, commonly considered an “ethnic slur”). Explain their etymologies (what the word means, from what language does it derive from, etc) and compare and contrast to the word haole. Think about the how these terms are classified through an English lens and whether you agree or disagree with such classification.
1) Pkeh – This word comes from the Mori language of Aotearoa (commonly referred to as New Zealand). Similar to haole, Pkeh is commonly used to distinguish between natives and non-natives. There are many interpretations on what the word actually means (i.e. any non-Maori living in New Zealand or perhaps a white-skinned individual with genealogy tracing back to Europe). Similar to haole, the term is often used in an English-context allowing for mis-interpretation. There are differing opinions on the true etymology of this word. Some feel it comes from the meaning of “white pig” or “long pig”, while others think that it roots from the term pakepakeha, mythical human-like creatures with light features who dwelled in the forests. However, many Mori speaking individuals disagree with these interpretations and are working towards re-normalizing this term as it’s intended definition, non-Mori.
While looking for these terms, search “how to say foreign(er) in _____ language”. This should yield results.
- Discuss The Use of Clinical Systems to Improve Outcomes and Efficiencies in newly diagnosed stroke.
- Explain their etymologies (what the word means, from what language does it derive from, etc) and compare and contrast to the word haole.
- Write a response to the pdf provided attached Jagged Worldviews Colliding and follow the assignment outline.
- What steps forward would you recommend to address the concerns of liberals and conservatives alike on the issues of Black Lives Matter and the identity of the United States as a multi-racial, multi-ethnic and multi-faith nation.
- Do you reject or accept the null hypothesis that states, There is no difference between the groups in years of education.
- Write a reflection on the attached document.
- Explain the role the project manager played in managing the projects success or failure.
- Critically compare past and present forms of terrorism in order to identify and evaluate areas of similarity and difference between them.
- What factors contribute to gun-related violence in school settings?
- Explain how Japanese governments can allocate their money in digital technology to support their communities during COVID 19?