In 1854 the United States issued the Ostend Manifesto, declaring that Cuba was “naturally” a part of the United States, and urged Spain to accept an offer of $120 million for the island. A threat was also issued that if Spain refused, the United States would “wrest” the island by force. While the threat was not carried out at that point in the nation’s history, Cuba will eventually fall within the American sphere of influence.
In order to prepare you must complete the following readings:
– (1 source) Review and identify the sections of Chapter 21 that address the topics that are relevant to this essay. (attached)
– Read the linked articles and use at least one of them for your essay to support your discussion: (use 2 sources)
* New York Herald Tribune on the War and yellow press (https://highered.mheducation.com/olc2/dl/807271/chap19elem4.html)
* De Lme Letter transcript (https://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=true&doc=53&page=transcript)
* Platt Amendment 1903 transcript (https://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=true&doc=55&page=transcript)
– (2 sources) Identify and incorporate at least one additional outside source to support your discussion. In addition to the textbook, you may use any material outside of the textbook that is recommended in the Additional Reading section at the end of each chapter. You are also encouraged to do your own research and identify relevant sources. Please keep in mind that WIKIPEDIA is not an acceptable reference.
PREPARE AND SUBMIT:
Write a well-organized essay including supporting details from the documents/textbook/other sources in which you analyze and discuss the material that has been assigned by addressing the following question:
In 1898 the U.S. declared war on Spain. Discuss why the Spanish-American War has been called the “splendid little war,” the reasons offered as to why the U.S. decided to engage in this war, and if you agree or disagree with these reasons. We also fought the Philippine-American War during this period. Discuss possible reasons why this war has been largely ignored.
- How did African-American culture evolve in the slave community, and what form did resistance to captivity take?
- What motives led Americans to move about so frequently, and how did that mobility affect cities?
- Comparing the law of Edidence of France and the United States
- How do the different theoretical approaches to strategy in this week’s readings relate to and enlighten us about the likely interconnections between grand strategy (policy), intelligence, and war?
- Spanish-American War
- This research study seeks to establish the impact that they delay in resolving criminal cases has on the overall functioning of the criminal justice system
- Fictional story
- nursing burnout education and assessment change proposal
- Capstone project: Write a 1 page reflection paper about (Capacity to Lead) that you have previous completed. My individual project was about a topic on Monitoring of Employees Computer Activities and the impacts on employee and business:
- Create a coherent argument about your topic including an explanation of the impact of the topic on the instruction of English Learners.