|HBET1203: English Phonetics and Phonology|
- Listen to the recording of Beatrice and Mirai reading a Sufi tale entitled “The Banquet”.
- Compare the speech patterns of Beatrice and Mirai.
- To answer this part, you need to identify and describe twenty-five instances where the readers pronounce words or phrases differently.
- Your task is to find differences in the speech used by the two readers in their readings of the poem.
- To complete this task, you need to do the following:
i) Find twenty-five instances in which the readers pronounce words differently.
ii) One sample answer is given below.
- Support your findings using IPA transcriptions of the sounds to which you refer. You are advised to use the online phonetic transcriber, the online IPA symbols writer, and the IPA phonetic symbols reference site to make your work easier and more accurate. This will be graded on the basis of the following:
- Consistent use of the IPA alphabet.
- Correct transcription of the words and phrases selected.